Saturday, February 23, 2013

Shredded Beef Tacos

So tonight I finally tried something COMPLETELY new!  I have made things that are new to us but recomended, etc; but this one I found on my own and went for it!  I found it on Pinterest, but you can find the original here :)  It was amazingly outstanding and will most definitely be added to our list to have many more times in our life!!!  I think it would even be an excellent and easy thing to make when entertaining guests!!  There are 2 things I absolutely love in the world when it comes to Mexican food; homemade fresh salsa AND fresh guacamole.  Can't beat the flavors on either one and I think I do a pretty fantastic job making them :)  This time of year in Northern Indiana is not the greatest to find tomatoes to make fresh salsa so I went with guac only tonight!  It is so easy and super delicious.
Homemade Guacamole:
-2 avacados
-diced red onion
-cilantro
-lime juice
 
Mash up your avacados with a fork, chop your red onion VERY small, and chop the cilantro.  A squeeze or 2 of lime juice.  I also usually add some salt because I add salt to most everything ;-)
 
Now on to the main feature!!  I would eat either pizza or tacos every single day of the week if I thought my hubby would let me get away with it!!  Both are great and offer so many variations that I really feel like my options are endless!!  Someday I'll talk him into seeing it my way, someday!! :-) 
 
Here is what you need:
  • 1 (2.5 lb) chuck roast
  • 1 (14 oz) can beef broth
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1/2 Tbsp cumin
  • 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
  • Juice of 1 lime
Here is what you will need to do:
In a small bowl whisk together chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place roast in a slow cooker, pour beef broth over roast then squeeze with fresh lime juice. Sprinkle roast with spice mixture. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook on low heat 8-10 hours. Remove roast from slow cooker, shred beef (remove fat) and return shredded beef to slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook additional 30 minutes. Remove beef from slow cooker with tongs to remove juices when plating or drain in a colander. Serve with desired toppings.
 
 Above are all the ingredients other than the roast.  Super easy and not spicy at all!!
Add the broth around your roast and sprinkle your seasonings on top.
Once you have cooked the roast for the time required, take it out and shredd it disgarding the fatty areas.  You will want to keep it in the broth until it's time to eat.  When that time comes, you will want to put it in a strainer of some sort so it is not going to make your shells soggy!!
 
 I used small corn torilla shells and grilled them up a bit.  Please feel free to use whatever shell type your family prefers :)
 I also had an assortment of items to top them with.  From really simple to really complex!!
 I chose to eat mine with cheese, guac, tomatoes, and sour cream.  They were to die for.  SERIOUSLY.  You should try them soon!!!
 
Have a great rest of your weekend!!!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on the Taco/Pizza comment. Also I'm going to steal both of these recipes since they've been approved by someone I know AND seem super easy, lol.

    Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Kirsten! Except I am hungry now and we already had dinner... : ) I love your pictures and instructions- what a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete