Sunday, January 13, 2013

Cheesy Chicken Lasagna

So for dinner tonight I decided to step out of my comfort zone and make something COMPLETELY new.  Good news, it was a HUGE success!!  I of course found it on Pinterest and had been talking myself into making it for quite some time because it seemed like it should be good!!  I found the recipe here and tweeked it to fit my needs.
 
Here are the main ingredients I used:
**I forgot to include my cheddar and mozzarella cheeses

I cooked my chicken earlier in the day and chopped it up to be used when I was ready!  Easy peasy!  I was originally going to make half the recipe because we just don't need a 9X13 pan full of ANYTHING!!  Once I got working, I decided that I would be totally fine making the full recipe for the creamy sauce and just use less noodles.  It worked out great!  For the sauce you just mix 1 package of dry ranch seasoning mix, 2 cans of evaporated milk, and the chicken.

The original recipe said to bring it to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes.  I did do this since it was my first time making it, however I think it would have been even better if I would have just heated it til it was thickened and that was it.  It had a weird texture but still tasted great.  Once your noodles are cooked and the sauce is ready, its assembly time!  I cooked up 6 lasagna noodles and made 3 layers in an 8x8 square baking dish.  I just cut them to size and made it work like a puzzle :)  I also probably used entirely too much cheese but hey, you only live once!  Bring on the cheese!!

Here is what it looked like before I threw it in the oven. . .already looked delish!
 
After baking for 35-40 minutes it came out looking like this, see!!! :)
 
We had this with a little side salad and that was it!  Simple and delicious!  It really is at the hands of the cook to adjust and make it fit your likes.  I know we will be having this again in the very near future!!
  
Here is the recipe copied and pasted right from the source: Real Mom Kitchen
 
Cheesy Chicken Lasagna
2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk (not fat-free)
1 (1 oz) pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix
3 C. cubed, cooked, chicken
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (16oz) lasagna noodles, cooked (I recommend reducing it to 8 oz to 12 oz)
1 1/2 to 2 C cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2 to 2 C mozzarella cheese, grated

Cook the chicken and noodles first at the same time. Once noodles are done–rinse in cold water and set aside (it keeps them from sticking together). Combine evaporated milk (don’t use fat-free version) and Ranch dressing in a 3 quart heavy saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently until dry ingredients are dissolved. Stir in chicken and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes (don’t do any less), stirring frequently. Layer half of lasagna noodles, poultry sauce, and cheese in well-buttered 9×13 pan. Repeat layers again. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let rest 10 minutes before serving

Hope you had a relaxing weekend and a have wonderful week ahead!! Happy Eating!



No comments:

Post a Comment