Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Roasted Chicken

Ok, here it is. . .whole chickens wigg me out!!  However I thought it was time to be brave and see if I could master roasting one.  So I tried it!  I bought the chicken at my local meat market and went to town!  I poked holes all over and stuffed them with quarters of garlic cloves.  Then I threw some garlic, lemon wedges, and fresh thyme in the center cavity.  I tucked the wings behind the chicken so they didn't burn during baking and I tied the legs snug together with some string.  After I put it in the roasting pan, I smeared some butter all over the skin (because I think that's what Paula Deen would do!!) and sprinkled some salt and pepper on it.  THAT'S IT.  I put it in a 350 degree oven and baked it for an hour and a half.  Now here is where it gets a little dicey. . .my recipe said to cook it to 180 degrees.  I did that.  Or I think I did.  Where I checked it, in 2 places, said that.  Perfect.  Pulled it out and tented for about 15 minutes under some foil.  It looked fantastic!  I started to slice it up and BAM.  NOT DONE.  Well some of it was but the rest of the some of it wasn't.  Tears.  I'm not sure what happened and why it was a disaster, but it was.  Also my hubby started walking around saying "cluck cluck"  He's so loving, isn't he?!?!

So the moral of this story is, I'm not prefect in my cooking adventures and sometimes I need a night like this to take me back to my basic cooking knowledge.  And yes, it was just a chicken.  And no, there are not any pictures because nobody wants to see that hottttttttt mess!

Happy Tuesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment