Sunday, January 27, 2013

Homemade Tomato Soup

I had a fantastic weekend of adventures with my hubby!  We headed to Indianapolis on Saturday early afternoon and hit up Jersey's Cafe in Carmel, Indiana.  It was a restaurant featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives!!!  FANTASTIC!!  Then we went to Sun King Brewery in Indy, also FANTASTIC!  We learned a lot there and enjoyed some samples too!  If you get a chance, check it out sometime!  We had a date night out Saturday night and attended the dinner theatre and saw Arsenic and Old Lace.  A new to us production and it was absolutely wonderful! :) This afternoon we attended a birthday party for my Aunt who turns FIFTY tomorrow.  She will be so thrilled that I told all of you that too!  She doesn't act a day over 21!!  It was great getaway weekend and if you have a chance to take one soon, do it!!

Now onto dinner!!  This soup has only a little butter and no other cream or fats. . .that is something new for me!  I like to cook with those things because they tend to add so much depth to dishes.  This was also an avenue of new flavors for me.  I found the recipe in Taste of Home Magazine.  I really did enjoy it and plan to try it again soon!  My hubby on the other hand, was not as fond of it.  I think it was the basil in the tomatoes, so next time I plan to change the kind I use up a bit!!  Now on to the process!!

Here is the recipe:
  • 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth
  • Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
  •  
    Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).

    The first thing I did was blend up my tomatoes.
    Before:
    After:
     
    I then got my onion chopped up very fine and got it cooking in the butter.  I cooked it for probably less than 10 minutes. . .since the pieces were nice and small!!
    
     
    After the onions were done, I added the garlic and cooked it a bit longer.  Just long enough to get the aromas flowing!!  I added my flour and allowed it to cook for a minute or so!
     
    After the flour is in, whisk in the chicken broth and the tomato puree.  I let the broth/onion/flour mixture cook for just a few moments before I added the tomatoes.
     

    Once you do that, bring it up to a boil and then turn the heat down to allow it to simmer for 20-25 minutes.  After that is should be a little darker and just a bit thicker.  It is a nice thin light soup.

    I made some grilled cheese and we had a jazzed up classic for dinner.  I think it would taste great with just plain tomatoes or any other variety you decided to go with.  It was unique and interesting, and I can't want to try it again!
     
    I hope this recipe finds you well and you have an excellent week!  I plan to make several yummy things this week and my first attempt at roasting a whole chicken. . .hope you'll be along for the ride!!
     
    Happy Sunday!!

     
     

    3 comments:

    1. Rotel would be yummo with a dallop of sour cream

      ReplyDelete
    2. That looks absolutely delicious! On a cold and icy night like this...... perfect. Gonna have to try it. And I was thinking Aunt Carolyn looks about 25, yeah, 25.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Turning Groceries GourmetJanuary 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

      I'm not the one who named birthday girl names!! :)

      ReplyDelete