Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

So tonight I made homemade chicken pot pie. . .it's really easy and simply delicious!!
You can find the original recipe here :)
 
 You will need about 4 cups of chopped veggies.  The recipe calls for potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery.
You will want to saute them in a pan with about 1/3 cup of butter until they start to become crisp tender.
 Once you have done this, you need to coat them with the 1/2 cup flour and cook for about a minute or so.  Then you will add your broth/cream mixture to that.
Allow the mixture to cook until it becomes thickened and bubbly.  It should coat the back of a spoon when its thick enough!!
At this point you can take it off the heat and add in your chicken and salt/pepper.  Today I also threw in some peas for good measure! :)
After the filling is all set to go, its time for the crust.  I use store bought stuff. . .in pot pie it is PERFECTLY delish.  I also take one of the rounds and roll it out a little bit thinner than it comes so it will cover the bottom and sides of my baking dish easier.
Then I pour in my filling and throw the top on.  I usually try and smush together the sides and the top to keep it from leaking out and making a mess!!
 
 
Now you will want to bake it at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes.  It should come out looking like this. . .
From here you will just allow it to sit for awhile so it does not scald your mouth and then scoop some out and enjoy!
 
Happy Wednesday!!
 

3 comments:

  1. It looks pretty and delicious. Left overs??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE chicken pot pie, this looks AMAZING!! I'll have to try it sometime. Molly doesn't like pie crust, so I'll have to make it for someone else... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacy! I was thinking about your comment and I think the filling would be fantastic over mashed potatoes! The middle is what is the best part :)

    ReplyDelete