Monday, January 28, 2013

Homemade Chili

There are no other words to describe my mom's chili than KILLER.  She has made it the same way for as long as I can remember and I can't see myself making it any other way!  Its really simple and not too many ingredients!

Here is my starting line-up:
 What you need:
  • 2 pounds hamburger; browned and drained
  • 2 cans mild chili beans
  • 2 cans light red kidney beans
  • 2 cans petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 regular can tomato sauce (not the tiny one!)
  • 2 packs of Chili-O original seasoning mix
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • Large can of tomato juice (in the juice aisle!)
First you need to cook and drain your hamburger.  I also like to rinse mine before I put it back in my pot so it gets more grease off of it!
 
I then add all the beans, onions, tomatoes, and tomato sauce on top of the hamburger.


 I try to give it a pretty good stir and then add my whole can of tomato juice.

Once that is all mixed up, I add my 2 packets of chili-o seasoning.  Make sure you get that mixed in really well!!

It should look like soup at this point, but needs to cook for a couple hours simmering in order to get that perfect chili flavor and texture!

Once its been cooking for awhile, it is ready to eat!  I made some cornbread to have along side it and added cheese on mine too!  The hubs likes his with crackers :)  You could really have any toppings you prefer!

This recipe can easily be cut in half.  I made the whole recipe because it is something we will be able to eat several times this week!  Everyone knows that Chili is ALWAYS better the 2nd and 3rd day!  We like to eat it over spaghetti and pack it for our lunches!  I hope you'll give it a try, and change it up as you desire.  This is a pretty mild version and there is plenty of room to spice it up.  If my Daddy had it his way, our mouths would still be on fire from eating chili because he likes it hot hot hot!! (Thanks Mom!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment